My
roots are buried deep in the rich fertile soil of the
Appalachian foothills. For generations, my family has toiled along the river
and in the hollers, carving lives out of those coal-rich, money-poor hills. I
lived along the Ohio River in Eastern Kentucky until I was 12 years old, when
my father was transferred to the Midwest by the steel mill that employed most
of the town.
My memories of Appalachian life are filled with hard work,
long days, meager earnings, and time spent with family. As a child, I remember
dewy summer mornings collecting strawberries from the garden for breakfast, and
long afternoons sitting on the porch swing, peach juice mixed with mud dripping
off my elbows, while my grandfather rocked in his chair, swatted at flies, and
complained about the starlings.
I remember sweet tea, brine-soaked cucumbers, and days working in the blackberry briars rewarded by a warm cobbler-filled belly in the evenings. I remember dancing on the lawn with my cousins in spontaneous celebration of the first thunderstorm after a long drought, and I remember the anticipation of watching the first snowflakes landing on the autumn leaves. I remember weekly trips to visit my grandparents in the city; the tiny house overflowing with people, cigarette smoke, coffee, and laughter. I remember hushed voices and murmured phone calls, and I remember assuming that if someone didn’t show up to a party, they must be in the hospital. I remember the long trek up a steep and winding road to bury my maternal grandfather, who had been incapacitated by stroke years before I was born. I remember pain and tears, and I remember the lovingly handmade “Care Bear” and “Cabbage Patch Doll” I unwrapped at Christmas.
I remember that I never once considered how much money my
friends in school had because none of us had much. We all survived and that was
enough reason to be glad. My elementary school gave boys leave during tobacco
harvest, so they could work alongside their fathers in the fields, and
tradition commanded that fifth-grade girls dressed up in their church clothes
to serve the sixth-grade boys their elementary graduation breakfast. Tradition
was the custom, and the oral tradition was deep and rich. Storytelling was an
art form, and music was the natural manifestation of stories told animatedly on
the front porch.
I remember sweet tea, brine-soaked cucumbers, and days working in the blackberry briars rewarded by a warm cobbler-filled belly in the evenings. I remember dancing on the lawn with my cousins in spontaneous celebration of the first thunderstorm after a long drought, and I remember the anticipation of watching the first snowflakes landing on the autumn leaves. I remember weekly trips to visit my grandparents in the city; the tiny house overflowing with people, cigarette smoke, coffee, and laughter. I remember hushed voices and murmured phone calls, and I remember assuming that if someone didn’t show up to a party, they must be in the hospital. I remember the long trek up a steep and winding road to bury my maternal grandfather, who had been incapacitated by stroke years before I was born. I remember pain and tears, and I remember the lovingly handmade “Care Bear” and “Cabbage Patch Doll” I unwrapped at Christmas.
I remember that I never once considered how much money my
friends in school had because none of us had much. We all survived and that was
enough reason to be glad. My elementary school gave boys leave during tobacco
harvest, so they could work alongside their fathers in the fields, and
tradition commanded that fifth-grade girls dressed up in their church clothes
to serve the sixth-grade boys their elementary graduation breakfast. Tradition
was the custom, and the oral tradition was deep and rich. Storytelling was an
art form, and music was the natural manifestation of stories told animatedly on
the front porch.
And now, I return. I am so fortunate to have the opportunity
to drive along that winding gravel road to the head of the holler to hug my
grandparents once again. I sit on the porch swing, watching my cousins’
children play ball in the yard with my own. Yet, when I drive into town, I now see the poverty that I
didn’t see as a child. I see sorrow and pain. I see the manifestations of a
decade of torment caused by a culture destroyed by substance abuse. I see pain
clinics and once proudly maintained trailers buckling from years of neglect. I
see children orphaned by addiction.
Appalachia has a long history of hard work with little
reward. Short lives punctuated by injury and illness have, in the past, been a
way of life that drew families closer and created a sense of communal
responsibility for the welfare of one another. Yet today, I see industry
chewing up and spitting out the Appalachian people, feeding upon their pain and
their desire for something better.
Much like the company store of the past, big pharma and
“pain clinics” have targeted the downtrodden Appalachian people as a
captive market, wrapping them up in the endless cycle of addiction and need.
The proud struggle of the past has become a desperate and angry poverty today. People once toiled in their gardens after long days in the mill to provide food
for their families. Today, whether I will be able to speak with a cousin on the
phone will depend on whether the copper wires supplying communication have once
again been stolen to feed an addict’s Oxycontin habit.
Much like the company store of the past, big pharma and
“pain clinics” have targeted the downtrodden Appalachian people as a
captive market, wrapping them up in the endless cycle of addiction and need.
The proud struggle of the past has become a desperate and angry poverty today. People once toiled in their gardens after long days in the mill to provide food
for their families. Today, whether I will be able to speak with a cousin on the
phone will depend on whether the copper wires supplying communication have once
again been stolen to feed an addict’s Oxycontin habit.
Do the Appalachian people have pain? Without a doubt. They
have always had pain, but no one took notice until there was a profit to be
made. The solution offered is hence market-driven, and the true needs of the
Appalachian people are ignored while children are orphaned and the murmurs and
whispers are now of death by overdose rather than early natural illness brought
on by years of hard labor.
It pains me to see this transformation. It hurts to hear of
the brutal abuse of my brothers’ best friend’s corpse by other addicts after
his overdose. It hurts to watch loved ones enter prison or be injured in acts
of drug-fueled domestic violence, but I remember. I remember hot sticky days
filled with dirt and sweet fruit juice dripping down my chin. I remember
laughter and strength in the face of insurmountable challenges. I know the
spirit of the Appalachian people, and I understand that spirit still remains
under all the pain and brutality visible on every street corner. I remember,
but my children don’t.
How do I frame their experience of Appalachia in a way that
they can understand their roots? Their roots are as deeply entrenched in that
soil and that soul as are mine, yet all they understand are the whispers and
murmurs that so-and-so is in prison or so-and-so overdosed. All they understand
is that their cousins didn’t get Christmas presents this year because their
mother spent all the money their grandparents sent for them. They don’t know
why yet, but soon enough they will understand what drugs are and what they can
do to an individual and a community. How do I tell them to be proud of a
culture that seems so ugly today? How do I tell them to be proud to be second
generation urban Appalachian, when I can no longer lay claim to the culture I
see there? How do I make sense of this transformation as an outsider looking
in, and how do I show my children the beauty masked by torment?
This must be why they say, “You can’t go home again.” I know
where my roots lie, but they are buried in so much grime that it is difficult
to navigate the way back. I can’t forget my past, though, and I can’t let that
grime distance my children from their heritage. For me, the way home is in my
bones, but how will I show them the way?
I still don’t have the answers, but I can only hope I will when they are
finally old enough to ask the questions.



No comments:
Post a Comment