It seems that every week, you see stories about children
being unfairly ripped from the homes of their parents for some incomprehensible
reason – like accidentally
forgetting to pay for a sandwich. Within the hour, you’ll see another story
about a child whose loved ones begged
and pleaded for help from the state, and those pleas fell upon deaf ears
until it was too late to save the child. You see stories about children being
abused or neglected in foster homes and stories about children suffering tragic
consequences after being returned prematurely to an unsafe family of
origin. All of these stories have
the same tone – the state agency obliged to protect the welfare of the child
failed, and the consequences of that failure were fatal.
The media gobbles up these stories and spits out
sensationalist headlines and biased opinions. Why? Because these stories
combine two elements that grab public attention and incite outrage and cries of
injustice – combining child abuse and failure of public officials is the coup
de grĂ¢ce of news media.
If these failures are so appalling to the public whether the
state acts or fails to act, then why do they keep happening? Why do they happen
over and over again in agencies all over the country that are run in
fundamentally different ways? No one has a perfect answer to that question, but I'd like to offer my experience as an insight into the challenges of that work.
Here’s my story in brief: I was working as a sexual assault
advocate in a large urban environment, where our biggest challenge was a particularly aggressive gang, whose modus operandi was to brutally
sexually assault the female companions of their rivals with blunt objects as a
means of retaliation. There were plenty of other terrible things that I laid
witness to each day, but this group was particularly challenging, in part
because if the woman I comforted while a nurse stitched her back up ever
revealed who caused such suffering, she and her loved ones were in imminent
mortal danger. I recall at least a dozen victims, and the detectives and I
never got a single name, description, or even an answer to a follow-up call. I
saw this time and again, and there was little I could do. Getting up to this
every day was exhausting because, essentially, the very idea of seeking my help
would cause these women more harm, and I became a threat rather than an
advocate. As a pregnant woman, the physical risks I incurred as part of this
investigation led me to daydream of greener pastures. I wanted to move on to a
place where I could really make a difference in an immediate and direct way. I
wanted to protect people who needed my help, and I wanted to work in an
environment where the little person I was carrying inside me would be less
likely to be harmed as I went about my daily business.
I accepted a position as an abuse investigator in a rural
county nearby. The pay was good, and I saw direct ways in which I could make a
difference when a case passed across my desk. So many of my former clients had
bemoaned their caseworkers and the system in general, but I had seen the nitty
gritty. I had heard the stories of the mothers whose children had been removed,
and I had helped them fight to regain custody of their children. I had been on
the other side, and I thought I could bring new perspective that would perhaps
alter outcomes for children and families.
I was assigned to the Special Investigations Unit, which
meant that we only received the ugliest of cases and our caseloads were much
smaller because of the complexity of the cases. My max caseload was nine per 30
days. I started my first case on a Monday, and by Friday I had 18 cases. The
reason? There were only four of us taking the “ugly” cases, and that was my
fair share of the flood of cases pouring in. There were no tax dollars
available to increase the number of caseworkers in the SIU, so that’s what we
got.
Now, here I am thinking that I can make a difference. I want
to complete thorough investigations, and ensure that the children whose cases
left my desk were treated in the most advantageous way possible. Within that first week, I met a little
girl who tearfully told a cousin, and then me, that her father had sexually
abused her. After the interview, I asked the father to leave the house until
the investigation was complete, and he obliged.
Two days later, as I sat in their home, the little girl’s
mother told me the financial woes they were experiencing because of the change
in the household. They didn’t have money to pay the electric bill. She didn’t
know where their next meal would come from. Why? Because this little girl told
this story about her daddy.
That day, when I talked with the little girl, what did she
say? Can you guess?? That’s right. She made it all up, and she was sorry. She
was just telling stories, and everything got out of hand. Of course this made
me uneasy, so I arranged another interview with a pediatric forensic
psychologist. I watched via closed circuit television as she tearfully recanted
and said she was sorry, and she just wanted daddy back so the lights would stay
on.
This was one of about 20 cases on my supposedly 9 case max
load. I had 30 days to close the case, and I had no substantiation that
anything had happened. The little girl admitted to lying. My supervisor pressed
me hard for a closed case, and I had 19 other families who needed my time and
attention, too. What could I do? I inquired, and we had no funds to provide
emergency assistance to the family. What were my options? I closed that case.
Dad went home, the lights stayed on, and the little girl learned never to tell
anyone what happened behind closed doors.
That was only one of the gut-wrenching cases that I
witnessed during my time there. Like any other public agency, child protective
services caseworkers must adhere strictly to the law. Unlike many practitioners
responsible for life and death decisions, though, they are bound to do it in as
few hours as possible because there is very little financial support for what
they do and so very many children and families in unsafe situations.
I lasted less than four months in that position. During that
time, an infant died in a house fire intentionally set by her mother. A child
whose case had been closed as “unsubstantiated” only a few weeks before. The
caseworker was fired and sued. The supervisor was demoted. Did this change
anything about the way cases were handled? No. How could it? In most of these
cases, there is little direct and documented evidence that any harm has come or
will come to these children.
In good conscience, I was unable to continue to work in life
or death situations where the institutional goal was to close each case within
30 days per state statute, rather than to ensure the safety of children first
and foremost. I left my position feeling deeply remorseful, and it took me
quite a long time to recover from the grief I felt for some of the children I
met.
A year after I left, a child was severely abused and killed
in foster care. The caseworker was blamed because she failed to conduct routine
checks on the home as mandated. Yet, she had dozens of foster homes on her
caseload, and this child was placed nearly two hours away from the agency.
There is no money for overtime, and there is only so much that can be
accomplished in 40 hours per week.
There have since been huge organizational changes to the
institution where I worked during those tumultuous months, and I certainly hope
things are incrementally improved. However, after reading case after case in
the news media, in which caseworkers are blamed for child mortality, I am left
with the sense that we cannot improve dramatically upon the outcomes for child
victims until we fundamentally change our perception of the causes of child
mortality.
Caseworkers are asked to do the impossible – both in terms
of the amount of time required to discover the truth about the history and wellbeing
of a vulnerable child, and in terms of their ability to predict the future. How
can they be expected to accomplish either consistently in a culture that
vilifies them at every opportunity?
When you hear a news story about a shooting, and it is mentioned
that “The police had been called to the residence on multiple occasions,” the
immediate response is not to blame the police for failing to adequately
intervene. There may be some question about police response, but the
implication of that statement is that this troublesome situation had been out
of control for a long time.
We cannot continue to vilify the individuals responsible for
protecting vulnerable children and expect them not to simply follow the letter
of the law – make the requisite contacts, collect the requisite evidence, tidy
up the file in case of future lawsuit, and move the problem off their desk and
out of their mind.
The problem of child abuse and subsequent child mortality
does not begin and end with the caseworker. This is a community problem. One we
must each accept responsibility for. One we must each acknowledge as a reality
in our neighborhoods and our schools. We must each offer love and support to
children and to struggling parents. Doctors and midwives should adequately screen
for domestic violence and postpartum psychological problems. Pediatricians
should ask how new parents are coping and listen genuinely to problems and
concerns. Neighbors should ask if parents need a casserole when their colicky
baby is keeping them up all night. Teachers should let their students know that
they can confide in them if they are worried. Everyone should be aware of
community resources for parents struggling emotionally, economically, or
spiritually, and be willing to offer help if needed. If we each provide the
opportunity for parents and children to reach out for support, no one potential
intervener would be singularly responsible when tragedy happens.
None of these things require the state to incur additional
financial responsibility, they can be done in a matter of moments, and they
can mean the difference between life and death for a child who may never see
the overworked and undervalued caseworker everyone expects to swoop in and save
the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment