This year, the Hubby and I decided to have a “China-free” Christmas, meaning that our
family wouldn't give any gifts made in China. Ideally, we would have preferred an
all American-made Christmas, but that is nearly impossible! We also had a few
other challenging parameters to manage.
I was honestly a bit nervous about whether we could find “China-free”
Christmas presents that:
1.)
The kids wouldn’t feel were odd, boring, or lacking in that
“wow” factor.
2.)
We could afford.
3.)
We could feasibly transport to and from the Midwest by plane.
I am glad to report that it was by far the best Christmas we
have ever had with the kids. I was
so excited when Mr. Drama proclaimed in a hushed voice, “Santa really is real,” after he opened all his presents. He even
contemplated the idea that perhaps Dumbledore, not Santa, had delivered the
presents to his grandparents’ home, since there were so many one-of-a-kind,
magical, Harry Potter-inspired wizarding items.
It was a unique and amazing time. Here are some of the things we learned during this process,
in case anyone else would like to do the same next year.
1.)
Etsy and other sites featuring handmade gifts are a terrific
source for unique gifts!
The kids received recycled crayons molded
into lego figures, lego bricks, and hearts; various Harry Potter items,
including magic wands sent via owl post, candies from Honey Dukes, a Gryffindor
scarf, and potions; a tutu and a few other items from hyenacart.com (a shopping
site featuring handmade baby and children’s items and other natural family
items).
Next year, I’d like to visit some local craft fairs to buy
from local artisans. I just couldn’t seem to sneak away from the kids for a day
of shopping this year, so quick online shopping ventures with one finger
hovering over the “close” button became my preferred method of purchase.
Keep in mind: If you plan to order handmade gifts online, be sure to start
shopping early. A few of our items didn’t
arrive until after the first of the year. Luckily, Santa let the kids know in
his letter that he would be leaving a few items at our house. When we got back
from our trip on January 5, our housesitter let us know that Santa had left a
few things under the tree. Can you believe he never heard a sound on Christmas
Eve? :-D
2.)
K’nex and Little Tykes are among the few major toymakers that
still produce items in the USA.
However, not all their items are made here, so you have to read the fine
print carefully. We purchased a Little Tykes sand and water table, and as I was
assembling it, I discovered that many of the components were made in China,
even though the table was made here. They list this item as being USA-Made on
the website, so beware! It is still much easier to shop for these items online,
since retailers don’t carry their entire stock, and it is unlikely that you
would find the full “USA-made” selection at any one retail store.
3.)
We went to the mall for a couple of hours. It was a nightmare. I found myself wandering half-panicked through
stores turning over every item, searching for something NOT made in China. I
honestly would have bought just about anything if it were made here. We spent two
hours there and walked away with two puzzles. Definitely not worth the trip,
the gas, the crowds, or the time.
4.)
After our disastrous trip to the mall, we stopped at the
thrift store, and it was a blast! We had decided to exempt second-hand items
that were made elsewhere (even China) because our dollars would not be going to
corporate interests but would instead be funding local businesses and charities
like Goodwill Industries. We first stopped in the books and toys aisle, where
we found lots of books in perfect condition and a helmet to go along with the American-made
skateboard that Cowboy received as his “big” gift this year.
We also found
a parachute
like this one. We then picked up some fabulous new purses, shoes, and scarves for Sergeant
Princess AND had enough time and money left over to buy her lots of sparkly,
dangly bracelets from the jewelry counter. Altogether, I think we spent less
than $50 and walked away with an amazing array of unique gifts that I would’ve
never considered or could’ve ever afforded at the mall.
Since he had to make two stops for
our kids, Santa understandably came a day early to the grandparents’ house in
Ohio. The kids were really
surprised to awake on Christmas Eve to find that Santa had already arrived. They
were even more surprised to find so many unexpected treasures – things that
weren’t in any of the catalogs or toy wishlists sent out by Target and the
like. Items that none of their friends would have, and items specifically chosen for them
with a keen eye to their particular interests. Scanning around all the unpackaged, hand
wrapped, unique gifts, Mr. Drama’s belief in Santa was reaffirmed. It was not
unwrapping the “must-have toy” of the season that wowed them, but the care,
consideration, and authenticity of the giving that made this Christmas especially
joyful for our children. The joy for the Hubby and I came from the expressions
of delight upon their faces. I truly could not ask for a better gift.
I hope everyone else had an
equally merry Christmas this year. Happy New Year to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment