"This forest eats itself and lives forever." ~Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
The neighbors had their first
rattler encounter of the season yesterday. I've seen lizards darting across
the rocks over the last couple of weeks and have reminded the kids to be careful while
playing in the yard. If the lizards are active, so are the snakes.
We are just finishing our second
full year of living in the mountains east of Albuquerque, and our experience
here has completely changed my perception of land, ownership, and responsibility.
Last year was the year of the
fire. The winds were fierce and the monsoons were late. As the wind lashed
against my windows, first dust, and then smoke, filled my lungs. My sweet
little ridge suddenly felt like a tenderbox almost begging for ignition. We had
our evacuation plans in place, our important documents and bags packed, and we
had decided on a plan for our land after the fire that seemed almost
inevitable. The view from our deck went from a beautiful 180 degree panoramic
landscape to a constant reminder that massive fires were on the horizon. I mean
that literally, on the horizon, we watched the Las Conchas fire burn for the
entire month of July, as we scanned the surrounding landscape with a suspicious
eye, and called in two fires that we spotted nearby. Finally, the rains came,
and slowly our risk of fire subsided. Las Conchas fire was extinguished, and our
panoramic view grew lush with green prairie grass and abundant wildflowers.
 |
| Los Conchas Fire - July 2011 |
 |
| Mr. Drama watching monsoons roll in - July 2011 |
Yet, we are constantly reminded of
the fragility of our relationship to the land and its inhabitants. Almost every
decision we make about our home is dependent on that fragile relationship. We
must consider our choices seriously when we are living with real concern about
the scarcity of water, wildfire, and wildlife. Whether we can make the trip to
work depends on the condition of our unmaintained dirt road. How and where we grow
food depends on our water resources and our relationship to bears, rodents, and
other hungry critters who share this land with us.
 |
| Driving down our lane - Spring 2011 |
Only once have I journeyed to the
furthest corners of the property we purchased two years ago. I decided to walk
up our hillside to better understand the land. What I came to understand
was that this land in no way belongs to me. It is wild. I had to crawl along on
my belly at certain points just to make it through the thicket of briars,
cactus, and limbs. As I crawled along at a snails pace, I stopped every three
feet or so, searching the next three feet with my eyes and ears for a sign of a
rattlesnake. By the time I made it back to the house, I was bleeding, tired,
and more than a little shaken. The very idea that I “own” this land is
laughable. I signed papers stating that it is mine, but I do not control this
land. It has been here forever, and it will continue to be here forever after I
am gone. The rattlesnakes and woodrats have a better claim to this land than I
do. Even fire would have more claim to this land than I. As I inch along on my
belly, fire could consume the whole of the property in less time than it would
take me to traverse it. When I assumed ‘ownership’ what I really assumed was
responsibility. Responsibility to the land, the minerals, the wildlife, and the
plants. How could I ask anything from this land other than it continue to do
what it has done for eternity, constantly changing and evolving from an ocean
floor to a volcano to a mountain ridge?
 |
| Rio Grande Gorge |
New Mexico is so very different
than the Midwest. In the Midwest, natural and human history is covered over by
soil, houses, and lush greenscapes. If you want to know what happened even a
decade ago, you will have to know just where to look, and then dig deep. In New
Mexico, all that history is brimming at the surface, with an honesty sometimes
too shocking to comprehend. Here, the Earth has been laid bare. It is as if the
sun and the earth are having a love affair, which we can witness in this
fragile landscape. Mountain peaks stretch achingly toward the sky in unlikely
ways, while the sun beats down steadily and powerfully on all that lays between
itself and the earth. Those who venture to live on the surface must be strong,
rugged, and constantly in flux. Anything that fails to meet these criteria is
likely to be baked, burned, or blown away. How could we ever possess a piece of
this land in any way that mattered? We are constantly reminded that we exist in
an infinitesimal moment in the history of this place. To be a speck in this landscape is humbling and
awe-inspiring.

No comments:
Post a Comment