Today was particularly eventful in our household. We’ve been
having poultry predicaments for a few days. This resulted in us moving our meat
birds (set for slaughter soon) up to the front of our house, directly outside
my bedroom window, and eventually to a friend’s coop. The reason we moved them was because our egg layers are
showing signs of illness, and we’ve decided to treat the whole egg-laying flock with
antibiotics for a couple of weeks. We didn’t want to give the meat birds
antibiotics so close to slaughter, especially since they are new to the flock
and show no signs of illness. We
had to buy eggs today **gasp** because we can’t eat our hens’ eggs for around
three weeks.
So, we’ve been dealing with sick chickens, and one of our
dogs has been faking an injury for several days because I hurt her feelings
(that might be another blog post in itself). Overall, though, we felt like we
had things under control.
This morning started out rather uneventfully. My
second-grader, Mr. Drama, left to ride to school with the neighbors. I hung a
load of laundry on the line and drove Cowboy to preschool. Then, as Sergeant
Princess and I head back in the door, we are followed by Opal, the hound dog
pictured in the last post. I
turned around, and there she stood, staring blankly off into the distance
covered in dirt and blood. She reminded me of the baby rabbit we found injured
on the road a couple months ago, which we tried in vain to save. I looked her over, and it was clear
that a wild animal had attacked her, and she needed veterinary care. While she
wasn’t critically wounded, I worried about all the infectious microbes she may
have been gifted along with those bites. The morning was a frenzy of logistics in
trying to get an immobile and wounded 6-inch tall, 55-pound dog into a minivan
and to the vet’s office. Roxie valiantly refused to leave her companion’s side,
which is very sweet, when you are not trying to figure out how to get a 6-inch
tall, 55-pound dog into a minivan without furthering injury and while wrangling
an oblivious toddler. The added complication of repeatedly removing a spry and agitated
shepherd from the van was a bit more than my patience could bear at that moment.
Luckily, Opal was not severely injured. The doc looked her
over and determined that she had been bitten by coyotes, first in her (ahem)
lady parts and then by another coyote in her side as she fell over. The most
care the vet gave her today was irrigating her lower eyelid which had been
packed full of soil during the scuffle. He believes that her extremely loud
bellow was the key to her survival. He actually thinks that terrible hound
sound sent the coyotes running like a couple of thieves bolting at the sound of
a car alarm. She is just stunned, and the vet aided her emotional shock with a
healthy dose of narcotic pain relievers and a dash of antibiotics and said,
“See you in the morning.” The afternoon was spent checking on all the sick and
wounded animals and working through the list of things I had intended to
complete during the morning hours.
Before I knew it, Mr. Drama was home from school, and I hadn’t really
thought of dinner.
I seriously contemplated the box of packaged beans and rice
hidden away in the cupboard, but I thought I could do better in less time. (It
would take 25 minutes to cook up anyway).
Here’s the spaghetti dish I came up with instead:
Diced garlic, onions, mushrooms, and zucchini, sautéed with
olive oil, rosemary, thyme and wilted basil.
Wilted basil sounds like some fancy culinary thing, but
the truth is, I had great intentions to start my own herb garden, and purchased
a basil plant, which I have wholeheartedly neglected. It is dying a slow sad
death, and wilted basil is what it has left to offer me.
After I sautéed the veggies until nice and soft, I added a
can of organic stewed tomatoes with Italian seasonings. After learning
about why commercial tomatoes taste so bad, we purchased a boatload of canned
organic tomato products from Costco to use when farmer’s market tomatoes are
not an option.
I added a bit more rosemary and thyme and allowed it all to
simmer for about 15 minutes, while I cooked the pasta.
Though we really like to start from scratch with most
things, we haven’t purchased a pasta maker (YET). So, we settle for Organic
Spelt pasta. This stuff is great, and the ingredients?—Organic spelt flour
and water. Yep. ZERO sodium, and 9 grams of protein per serving.
I tossed the cooked pasta with the veggie mixture, added a
bit of parmesan cheese, and voila: another additive free, nutritious vegetarian
meal that enticed my children to eat three bowls each. Total cost was probably
about $6 for the family, and prep time was less than 30 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment